A look at Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s product for Unoccupied Property Owners
Unoccupied property, both domestic and commercial, can be susceptible to potential issues, such as break-ins and theft, vandalism, fire, malicious damage, escape of water, and flood damage.
For property that may be left vacant for a longer period than what is covered by standard insurance, it is important the owner has unoccupied property insurance to cover the property and its content if a problem was to arise.
Typically, standard property insurance policies cover a vacant property for 30 to 60 days. However, the timeframe can be longer or shorter, depending on the individual policy.
Unlike standard property policies, unoccupied property insurance covers an empty property for a longer duration, typically between three, six or 12 months.
Properties can be left unoccupied for a number of reasons. Some of the most common include:
- Awaiting sale or tenancy
- Awaiting probate
- The property is a second home and the owner is away
- Undergoing renovation or refurbishment
While not limited to, Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s product covers the following property type:
- Residential house or bungalow
- Individual flats
- Shop and Offices
- Care homes
- Industrial Units
While not limited to, our product covers the following occupancies:
- Awaiting Sale
- Awaiting let
- New Purchase
- Undergoing Renovation inc. some structural
- Awaiting planning permission
The non-standard features our unoccupied property owners’ product include are:
- Previous Convictions, Bankruptcy, IVAs
- Refused or declined Insurance
- Adverse Claims Experience
- Non standard Construction (Ex Thatched)
The cover includes:
- Property Owners Liability
The limits of the cover are:
- Up to £2,000,000 sums insured any one risk / location.
- £1,000,000, £2,000,000 and £5,000,000 POL available.
- Short Term Policies – 3 and 6 months
- Level 1 – FLEEA only
- Level 2 – Wider Perils
- Professional fees, the cost of removing debris and making the building safe – Up to 15% of the Building Sum Insured
- Damage to buildings caused by emergency services – Up to £1,000
- Purchase Agreement – sale of property
Each enquiry will be reviewed and underwritten on its own merits, with terms provided on the same day.
For more information on our product for unoccupied property owners, get in touch with the Nelson Policies at Llyod’s team.
Back to Blog
Ashes 2021/22: What can we expect?
The legendary men’s Test cricket Ashes series between England and Australia is just round the corner, starting on December 8 in Brisbane. For the first time since 1994 – 95, the final Test of one of the biggest competitions in cricket will be held in Perth.
Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s joins MGAA
Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s, a leading independent Managing General Agent that provides a range of insurance products to insurance intermediaries across the UK, has joined the Managing General Agents’ Association (MGAA).
£30m to be invested in redevelopment of thousands of UK tennis courts
More than 4,500 tennis courts across Britain are to receive a slice of a £30m investment. The funding will go towards refurbishing public tennis facilities in some of the most deprived areas of the country.
Q&A with Kelly Staggs, our longest serving team member
As I oversee all the commercial renewals, I like the fact I am continuously kept busy. Every day, I am reviewing a different type of risk and seeing how other people would underwrite it. I also like having the ability to re-review a risk and provide the best options for both the Insured and broker.