A look at Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s product for Unoccupied Property Owners
Unoccupied property, both domestic and commercial, can be susceptible to potential issues, such as break-ins and theft, vandalism, fire, malicious damage, escape of water, and flood damage.
For a property that may be left vacant for a longer period than what is covered by standard insurance, it is important the owner has unoccupied property insurance to cover the property and its contents if a problem was to arise.
Typically, standard property insurance policies cover a vacant property for 30 to 60 days. However, the timeframe can be longer or shorter, depending on the individual policy.
Unlike standard property policies, unoccupied property insurance covers an empty property for a longer duration, typically between three, six or 12 months.
Properties can be left unoccupied for a number of reasons. Some of the most common include:
- Awaiting sale or tenancy
- Awaiting probate
- The property is a second home and the owner is away
- Undergoing renovation or refurbishment
While not limited to, Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s product covers the following property type:
- Residential house or bungalow
- Individual flats
- Shop and Offices
- Care homes
- Industrial Units
While not limited to, our product covers the following occupancies:
- Awaiting Sale
- Awaiting let
- New Purchase
- Undergoing Renovation inc. some structural
- Awaiting planning permission
The non-standard features of our unoccupied property owners’ products are:
- Previous convictions, bankruptcy, IVAs
- Refused or declined insurance
- Adverse claims experience
- Non standard construction (Ex Thatched)
The cover includes:
- Property owners liability
The limits of the cover are:
- Up to £2,000,000 sums insured any one risk / location.
- £1,000,000, £2,000,000 and £5,000,000 POL available.
- Short term policies – 3 and 6 months
- Level 1 – FLEEA only
- Level 2 – Wider perils
- Professional fees, the cost of removing debris and making the building safe – Up to 15% of the Building Sum Insured
- Damage to buildings caused by emergency services – Up to £1,000
- Purchase agreement – sale of property
Each enquiry will be reviewed and underwritten on its own merits, with terms provided on the same day.
For more information on our product for unoccupied property owners, get in touch with the Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s team.
Back to Blog
2022 Sporting Calendar
With the Lionesses’ victory in the Women’s Euro 2022 final, the world’s eyes are firmly fixed on sports in the UK and the incredible talent emerging from our nation.
In the spotlight: A Q&A with Raff Lyons
What’s your role at Nelson Policies at Lloyd’s?
I’m the Assistant Development Underwriter and it’s my role to create and maintain new and existing relationships with our brokers, as well as underwriting Commercial business
Women’s Euros 2022
It has been a fun festival of football so far this summer with a thoroughly entertaining Women’s Euros taking centre stage. Aided by some fine English weather and raucous support for England and their rivals, the football has produced goals galore, as well as record crowds and viewing figures.